Our Orange County DUI lawyers have noticed, in over 23 years of professionally handling DUI cases in Orange County, that there are known areas where where most DUIs in Orange County occur. Where are those places?
Once clue to where most DUI cases occur is where the courts are that handle the most DUI cases in Orange County. The Harbor Justice Center court in Newport Beach has, according to the State of California, more DUI cases handled than any other court in California.
The Newport Beach courthouse handles DUI cases from the following cities in Orange County:
- Aliso Viejo
- Costa Mesa (DUI cases prior to 2013 only);
- Dana Point
- Laguna Beach
- Laguna Hills
- Laguna Niguel
- Laguna Woods
- Lake Forest
- Mission Viejo
- Newport Beach
- Rancho Santa Margarita
- San Clemente; and
- San Juan Capistrano.
As you can see that is a huge list of cities, and is a large geographic area as well. Part of the reason why this one courthouse handles so many cities is that the Orange County Superior Court used to have another courthouse, the South Justice Center, in Laguna Niguel, which had a plan to expand, and then that facility was closed on July 3, 2008. The Harbor Justice Center court in Newport Beach took over all of those cases formerly handled by the court in Laguna Niguel.
Where most DUIs in Orange County occur by geographic area
Interestingly enough, although the Harbor Justice Center court in Newport Beach handles more DUI cases than any other courthouse in California, the geographic area where most DUI cases occur is not in Orange County – it is the five mile stretch coming out of Tijuana, in Baja California, Mexico, and near Chula Vista, California, in San Diego County. But that court does not handle as many DUI cases as the Harbor Justice Center court in Newport Beach, over all.
Another clue as to where most DUI arrests in Orange County occur is the areas where drinking establishments are that are not well covered by public transportation.
Yet another clue to where most DUIs in Orange County occur would be where police set up Orange County DUI Checkpoints on a regular basis. DUI Checkpoints in Orange County are usually, although not always, set up around the areas where DUI arrests are most likely to occur.
Where most DUIs in Orange County occur by City
Looking at all of those statistics, and with the warning that cultural changes and population shifts often cause statistics to change over time, the OC areas with the most DUIs in Orange County are:
- Laguna Beach;
- Costa Mesa, near both Bristol and Baker or Adams; and also near The Triangle, on Newport Boulevard near Harbor Boulevard;
- Huntington Beach, along Beach Boulevard and along Pacific Coast Highway;
- San Clemente along the 5 freeway, (note that this is a CHP training ground, and the CHP notes that due to the higher speeds going to and from Camp Pendleton, that accidents here due to a DUI are especially likely to injure or kill);
- Santa Ana, in and around the Artists Village in Santa Ana, and also near the John Wayne Airport;
- Fullerton, in and around the Downtown Fullerton area (which is especially heavily patrolled);
- Newport Beach, in and around Fashion Island, and also near Pacific Coast Highway and Newport Boulevard;
- Irvine, in and around MacArthur Boulevard, and Jamboree Boulevard, and also near the Irvine Spectrum;
- Fountain Valley, near the 22 and 405;
- Tustin, near The District in Tustin, and also the Tustin Marketplace.
Remember to be careful anytime you drive, anywhere, and avoid drinking and driving. If you do need a DUI lawyer in Orange County, however, please contact us.
You can reach us through our website anytime, for a free consultation regarding your questions for our top Orange County DUI attorney, or needs for representation.