Finding the Best DUI Attorney in Orange County is not necessarily an easy task, and make take some work on your part.
There are times that we make choices that may be irresponsible and we may have to endure the consequences. Getting a driving under the influence (DUI) arrest and case can be embarrassing and can make you lose your reputation, especially for public figures, or anyone subject to a background check.
It can negatively impact your confidence and can end up becoming one of the lowest times in your life. One thing that can make this situation better for you is to get the best Orange County DUI lawyer. Such a lawyer is knowledgeable enough in dealing with DUI cases and knows exactly how to get you out of the situation.
According to DUI statistics provided by MADD, in 2014, more than 1.1 million drivers were arrested for DUI cases. Driving under the influence is not only dangerous to you; it also places the lives of people around you in danger. If you get arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol, you will need to get a lawyer. Of course, you may decide to work with the lawyer appointed by the court (a public defender), but it is best if you hire your own attorney.
Although it can be stressful to get arrested for DUI, you will want to handle the situation head-on and be as informed as you can be. Getting the best Orange County DUI attorney can help reduce some of the stress. The attorney will determine if you will plead guilty or proceed with the case to court. If the situation is very complicated, your attorney will navigate through the legal system for you.
Getting the Best DUI Attorney in Orange County
The best DUI attorneys in Orange County offer many benefits such as having someone that has vast knowledge about the legal system, can offer expert counseling, knows about plea bargain details, and can navigate complicated situations. If you represent yourself, the complex legal information could confuse you and do more harm to you.
Doing an internet search to find the right attorney can be challenging. Going past fake ratings and descriptions that are deceptive means that conducting online search demands patience. You have to drill down to get an attorney that has the best credentials and reviews. Before selecting a DUI attorney, below are some things you need to consider.
- Carry out your research
Getting the best DUI lawyer who will listen to you, understand your situation, and assist you in court is not easy to find. It is important for you to conduct your research on different DUI lawyers and select one that best suits your case. Thankfully, social media and the internet have made such research easy to do. Also, you could speak with trusted friends and family members and ask for suggestions on the attorney to hire.
- Have a list of potential lawyers
There are lots of resources to assist you with your search – you could seek out personal recommendations or look into the State Bar Associations and State and National DUI Lawyer Associations and have a list of potential attorneys to hire. Just as it is with making vital decisions in life, you should diligently go through your options before selecting the perfect DUI lawyer for your case.
• Get some personal recommendations: Solicit some recommendations from people that have previously used the services of the attorney. You can also get an estimate on how much each attorney charges for the entire process, how they performed, and the final outcomes.
• Your previous attorney: If you have used a lawyer from a previous case, he or she can be a good choice. The attorney can refer you to a lawyer that specializes in your case from their network of attorneys.
- Determine if the lawyer is qualified enough to take up your case
Just because somebody is an attorney doesn’t mean they have the required qualification to handle your case. After doing your preliminary search, consider the qualifications of each attorney before making your choice. Get the educational background, areas of specialization, and the bar standing of each attorney.
• Hire an attorney that has a license: Ensure you work with a licensed attorney, as they will be the only ones to be able to represent you. Check on your State Bar website to see if the lawyer you intend to hire is licensed or not.
• Using a lawyer from another state: If you get a lawyer that is not licensed in your state, but is licensed elsewhere, he or she can hire a local co-counsel to represent your case. However, this will cost you more in the end.
• Hire a local attorney: For instance, an attorney from your state will be more familiar with the judges, courts, and prosecutors there. If the judge knows and respects your attorney, it will be to your advantage.
• Review their ethical records: It is very important to consider the ethical record of the attorney. Find out if the attorney has had disciplinary action against them. The disciplinary records of all lawyers can be found in the website of the State Bar.
• Get a lawyer that has experience in DUI cases: Ensure that the attorney you hire has extensive knowledge and understanding in handling DUI cases. Although criminal defense lawyers can handle various criminal matters, it is best to hire a lawyer that focuses on DUI cases and properly understands DUI laws.
- Schedule a meeting
Although meeting in-person can take some time out of your day, it is very important in selecting a trusted DUI attorney. When you meet in person, you will get the chance to get an idea on how he or she works, how both of you can get along, and if he or she has your best interest at heart. As you meet, have these in mind:
• Be honest about the facts of your situation: Don’t be shy. Give the lawyer all the facts of your case so they can give you the best advice on the next steps to take. The attorney will determine the important things in your defense. You will not want to be in a situation where your lawyer will be surprised with a fact that could endanger your case.
• Bring all related documents: It is important you show the attorney the code of law you violated and are being charged with. Don’t just assume the lawyer will know everything regarding your case, because each case is different.
• Learn about the experience of the attorney: You must have already gone through the website of the attorney to determine their experience. But ask the attorney to talk about his/her success rate, the number of cases handled and those cases that got dismissed.
If you would like a free evaluation of your case, advice regarding your case and options, please feel free to contact our firm.