DUI Arraignments in Newport Beach
- To advise you of your rights in a DUI. Your rights are: To be represented by a lawyer;
- If you cannot afford one, the court will appoint one; and also
- You have the right to represent yourself.
2. To advise you of the consequences.
- You have the right to a speedy trial, to question witnesses, to testify or remain silent
- You have the right to know that under California law if you plead guilty to any weapons or violence crime there is a felony crime for possessing a firearm for the next 10 years
- Under Federal law there are immigration consequences – denial of entry, denial of naturalization, deportation, or denial of citizenship for some crimes.
- To notify you of the charges against you. To also give you a chance to decide what you want to do – plead guilty, or not guilty, or to get a lawyer to help you.
Regarding your fines for an Orange County DUI case:
- You should also know that there is a 280% tax on all fines and fees.
- There is also a state restitution fund up to $150 to 1000, and the court imposes the minimum of $150.
- On top of that in every charge there is a $40 court administrative assessment tax.
- On top of that you are required to pay an extra $30 criminal assessment tax.
- On top of that you’re required to pay another 4-6 dollars, and I have absolutely no clue what that is for.
Booking fees for an Orange County DUI case:
- For Irvine DUI cases you owe them booking fees in the amount of 195
- Laguna Beach DUI booking fees are $195.
- The Orange County Sheriff’s Department is $235.
- Costa Mesa DUI cases have booking fees of $280.
- Newport Beach has a booking fee for DUIs that is a whopping $362. I always joke that those departments must give a balcony with an ocean view, cater your meals from the Ritz Carlton, and have the officer give you daily massages to justify those fees.
- We take credit cards as long as they are not stolen;
- We take checks as long as they are not forged;
- We take cash as long as it’s not counterfeit bills.